The first recorded concept of a 3D printer appears in a science fiction story published in 1945 called "Things Pass By" by Murray Leinster. In this story, Leinster described a device that could create physical objects from digital designs, similar to the way that modern 3D printers work. While the technology did not yet exist at the time, this concept laid the foundation for the development of 3D printing in the decades that followed.
The history of 3D printing has been one of rapid evolution and growth. It has transformed the way products are designed and manufactured, and has the potential to revolutionize many other industries in the future.
- Timeline of the 3D Printing History - ASME
- The History of 3D Printing: From the 80s to Today (sculpteo.com)
- When Was 3D Printing Invented? The History of 3D Printing - (bcn3d.com)
- The complete history of 3D printing (ultimaker.com)
- History of 3D Printing: When Was 3D Printing Invented? | All3DP
- The history of 3D printing: A timeline | ZDNET